Our professional staff has years of experience caring for families from all walks of life. We are leaders in our profession, with dedication to service and professional integrity.
When we sit down with a family, our shared goal is to create a fitting, memorable and affordable service for their loved one. We offer them a wide variety of services and products, as well as a wealth of creative ideas and suggestions. Together, we'll design a memorial or funeral service that suits their needs now, and in the future. Families who come to us know that years from now, they will have deep peace-of-mind because in coming to us, they've done their best to honor their loved one.
J.T. Oldham came to El Dorado from Iowa in 1879 to establish a furniture factory and be a dealer in furniture and carpet, and as was the case most of the time during this era, to establish an “undertaking parlor.” In all likelihood, Oldham manufactured the caskets or “coffins” in the same area he made furniture. In 1893, Oldham sold half his furniture business to J.R. Putnam, and in 1900, Putnam purchased the remaining half of the furniture business.
In 1952, the funeral home was sold to Gerald and Carrol Byrd of Wichita, the sons of Claude F. Byrd. At this time Glen and his wife Loretta purchased a funeral home in Erie, Kansas where they remained until 1956 when they returned to El Dorado and purchased the funeral home. They along with Jack Pittman, the manager of Byrd-Snodgrass, operated the funeral home until 1960 when the Dietz’s became full owners. A new chapel was added to the home in 1968, and the firm was re-named Dietz Colonial Chapel. In 1974, Eugene and Betty Carlson moved to El Dorado from Solomon, Kansas, and purchased the funeral home and operated it until the death of Eugene in January 1993. Betty continues in the operation of the funeral home to the present time. Over the years many changes have taken place both inside and outside the building. Most notable were the erection of the four large pillars and porches on the front of the building in 1931 and the chapel in 1956. Many changes have occurred in the funeral service since the organization of this funeral home. In an issue of the El Dorado City Directory, during the 1880’s the funeral home advertised that they “used lowering devices”. These replaced lowering the casket into the grave by the use of ropes. Also, motorized equipment replaced the horse drawn hearse. Later changes which have affected the funeral business are the government agencies which are becoming more and more involved, the F.T.C, O.S.H.A. and the Environmental Protection Agency. The staff of Carlson’s who are serving the El Dorado and Butler County area are: Betty Carlson, who is still strongly active in the funeral home and other various organizations; Lionell Butts, a lifetime resident of Leon and El Dorado; and Darla Deaton, a lifetime resident of El Dorado. We here at Carlson’s strive to provide a professional service to families that will make a lasting impression of care and comfort.
Carlson Funeral Home is a funeral home located in El Dorado, KS.